What does have on good authority mean?
Definition of have it on good/excellent authority : to know or believe something because you have been told that it is true by someone you trust Based on some reliable inside information, we have it on excellent authority that the company will soon be making layoffs.
What does having it on high authority mean?
to have been told something by someone who knows the truth: I have it on the highest authority that they are getting a divorce.
What does it mean for someone to have authority?
If you have the authority to do something, you have the right or power to do it. Or, if you know more about a topic than most, you are an authority on that topic. Giving someone authority grants them the power to make important decisions or have accepted opinions.
Who is respected or obeyed by other people?
Definition of with authority : with the confident quality of someone who knows a lot about something or who is respected or obeyed by other people She spoke with authority about the history of the building.
What is an example of authority?
The definition of an authority is a public organization that controls an area or certain activities. A corporation that provides bus service in a city is an example of a transit authority. A philosophy scholar who publishes books is an example of an authority.
What does speaking with authority mean?
How do you use authority in a sentence?
Authority in a Sentence 🔉
- Because I am the manager, I have the authority to change the policy at my job.
- The parents were the authority in the house because they enforced the rules.
- She had a difficult time respecting authority because she wanted to do things her way.
How can I be comfortable with authority?
Being Comfortable Exercising Your Authority
- Make sure your instructions are clear.
- Encourage people to approach you if they run into problems.
- Take action quickly when you learn of any real problems.
- Insist your team report all the news – good and bad.
- Use crises as an opportunity to develop people.
How do you say something with authority?
5 Powerful Tips for Speaking With Authority and Confidence
- Replace “Um” With Stronger Filler Words. In the moment, it’s hard not to say “uh, um,” while you try to gather your thoughts.
- Know The Power Of Silence. The best speakers know the power of silence.
- Do Not Make Things Complicated.