What powers do building control officers have?

overseeing the work of building surveyors and providing them with supportive management. providing advice about construction safety matters and new building regulations. making regular inspections of building work at various stages of completion. keeping records of how projects are progressing.

What works are notifiable to building control?

Very common examples of notifiable work are; rewiring a property, providing electricity to a garage or outhouse, the replacement of the main fuse box in a house or any electrical work in a kitchen, shower room or bathroom.

Is the builder responsible for building control?

With all building work, the owner of the property (or land) in question is ultimately responsible for complying with the relevant planning rules and building regulations (regardless of the need to apply for planning permission and/or building regulations approval or not).

Can you buy a house without a completion certificate?

When buying a home that has had work completed on it, the seller should produce a Building Regulations Certificate. However, it is not uncommon to find that work has been carried out on a home without the necessary approval.

What happens if you build without building regs?

The Local Authority has to see that building work complies with the Regulations. If the work does not comply, you may be asked to alter or remove it. If you fail to do this, the Local Authority may serve a notice requiring you do so within 28 days, and you will be liable for the costs.

Do building regulations apply to old buildings?

The Building Regulations only apply to new work and there is no general requirement to upgrade all existing buildings to meet these standards.

What happens if you don’t follow building regulations?

Who signs off building control?

In this case, a building inspector will approve the works as they are carried out by a process of inspection. Building Regulations approvals can be sought either from the building control department of the local authority or from an approved inspector. These are referred to as the building control body.