What does the term ignominy mean?
Definition of ignominy 1 : deep personal humiliation and disgrace. 2 : disgraceful or dishonorable conduct, quality, or action.
Can you feel ignominy?
Ignominy, the word, expresses a feeling all of us have felt at some point of time in our lives. In fact, this feeling is extremely hard to avoid and if you say you have never ever felt such a thing in your lives, we have reason not to believe you.
What does ignominious end mean?
adjective. If you describe an experience or action as ignominious, you mean it is embarrassing because it shows a great lack of success. […] [formal] ignominiously adverb [ADVERB with verb]
How do you use ignominy in a sentence?
Ignominy sentence example The only way to escape the ignominy of being caught asleep on camera was to play a game. I checked my watch to see how long I would have to endure this ignominy . The ignominy of such a proceeding was generally “considered sufficient atonement for the gravest offences.
What does ignominious mean in a sentence?
1 : humiliating, degrading an ignominious defeat. 2 : deserving of shame or infamy : despicable. 3 : marked with or characterized by disgrace or shame : dishonorable.
Can you call someone ignominious?
When “ignominious” was first borrowed from a French form of the word in the 15th century, it meant “disgraced” or “dishonorable.” “Ignominious” continues to have such meanings, but it also has somewhat milder meanings – “embarrassing” and “humiliating.”
How do you use ignominious?
Ignominious in a Sentence 🔉
- When the boxer got knocked out in the first round, everyone knew it was the beginning of an ignominious defeat for him.
- Since Charles struck out at bat three times, he is credited as the reason our baseball team suffered such an ignominious loss in the state playoffs.
How do you use imprudent?
Imprudent in a Sentence 🔉
- Phil’s imprudent turn on the highway caused a six-car accident.
- When Ann booked the wedding chapel before receiving the proposal, everyone laughed at her imprudent decision.
- Jackson’s imprudent attitude led him to think he could out run the police.
How do you use pillory in a sentence?
Pillory sentence example
- He was sentenced to an hour in the pillory , which was remitted, and to fine and imprisonment, which were enforced.
- An inquisition held in 1383 discloses two markets, a merchant gild, pillory and tumbrel.