What is the drug cefpodoxime used for?

Cefpodoxime is used to treat bacterial infections in many different parts of the body. It belongs to the class of medicines known as cephalosporin antibiotics. It works by killing bacteria or preventing their growth. However, this medicine will not work for colds, flu, or other virus infections.

What should I do if my child takes too much medicine?

If you know or suspect your child has taken too much medicine, call the Poison Control Center at 800-222-1222. Keep the number programmed into your home and cell phones and posted on your refrigerator. Call 911 immediately if your child: Won’t wake up.

What happens when you overdose on paracetamol?

Paracetamol is the most common medicine taken in overdose. It can lead to liver failure in a number of days, despite using medication to protect the liver. Liver failure can be fatal. Over 150 people die each year as a result of a paracetamol overdose.

What are side effects of cefpodoxime?

What are the side effects of Cefpodoxime (Vantin)?

  • severe stomach pain, diarrhea that is watery or bloody (even if it occurs months after your last dose);
  • fever, chills, sore throat, mouth sores, swollen glands, joint pain, or not feeling well;
  • a seizure; or.

What does syrup of ipecac do?

Ipecac is used in the emergency treatment of certain kinds of poisoning. It is used to cause vomiting of the poison. Only the syrup form of ipecac should be used.

How do you tell if a child is being drugged?

Signs of emotional abuse may include:

  • Constant worry about doing something wrong.
  • Speech problems or delays in learning and emotional development.
  • Depression and low self-esteem.
  • Doing poorly in school.
  • Extreme behavior, such as being way too obedient or way too demanding.
  • Headaches and stomachaches with no clear cause.

How can paracetamol overdose be treated at home?

Acetylcysteine (standard regimen) – Adults Acetylcysteine should be administered by intravenous infusion preferably using Glucose 5% as the infusion fluid. Sodium Chloride 0.9% solution may be used if Glucose 5% is not suitable. The full course of treatment comprises of 3 consecutive intravenous infusions.

What is ipecac syrup used for?

Ipecac syrup is a medicine that causes vomiting. In the past it was used to partially empty a person’s stomach after a poison. It is now rarely recommended. It is NOT necessary to keep ipecac syrup in your home. In case of a poisoning, call Poison Control right away at 1-800-222-1222 or use the webPOISONCONTROL ® tool for guidance.

What happens if you drink ipecac syrup with activated charcoal?

Activated charcoal can bind up syrup of ipecac in the stomach. This decreases the effectiveness of syrup of ipecac. To cause vomiting after suspected poisoning: 15 mL ipecac syrup followed by 1-2 glasses of water. This dose may be repeated once in 20 minutes if vomiting does not occur.

When was Ipecac approved by the FDA?

In 1965, the FDA approved the sale of up to one ounce of syrup of ipecac without a prescription. At the time it was approved, its use was recommended by the AAP, AAPCC, AMA, and the FDA’s medical advisory board as a method to induce vomiting “for quick first-aid use in the home, under medical supervision”, for use in cases of accidental poisoning.

How effective is Ipecac for poisoning?

Taking syrup of ipecac causes vomiting. This might help remove up to 54% of ingested poison when taken within 10 minutes of poisoning. However, taking ipecac 90 minutes after poisoning does not seem to be effective. Also, ipecac’s effectiveness in preventing pediatric deaths with routine use at home has never been proven.