What are the 5 lab safety symbols?
- General Warning. The general warning lab safety symbol consists of a black exclamation point in a yellow triangle.
- Health Hazard.
- Harmful Irritant.
- Poison/Toxic Material.
- Corrosive Material Hazard.
- Carcinogen Hazard.
- Explosive Hazard.
What are safety symbols in chemistry?
Hazard pictograms (symbols)
- Explosive (Symbol: exploding bomb)
- Flammable (Symbol: flame)
- Oxidising (Symbol: flame over circle)
- Corrosive (Symbol: corrosion)
- Acute toxicity (Symbol: skull and crossbones)
- Hazardous to the environment (Symbol: environment)
What are the symbols in the laboratory?
Following symbols warn of possible dangers in the laboratory to help the lab professionals keep safe and informed.
- General Warning.
- Flammable Material Hazard.
- Explosive Material Hazard.
- Electrical Hazard.
- High Voltage Hazard.
- Toxic Material Hazard.
- Ionizing Radiation Hazard.
Why are laboratory safety symbols important?
It helps protect anyone and everyone that comes into your lab. Signs may show that a material is easily flammable, dangerous to touch the skin, causes irritation, is dangerous to breathe, and many more hazards. Using signs alerts people to these hazards.
What are the safety rules in laboratory?
General Laboratory Safety Rules
- Know locations of laboratory safety showers, eyewashstations, and fire extinguishers.
- Know emergency exit routes.
- Avoid skin and eye contact with all chemicals.
- Minimize all chemical exposures.
- No horseplay will be tolerated.
- Assume that all chemicals of unknown toxicity are highly toxic.
Where Are safety symbols found?
In addition to being encountered in industrial facilities; safety signs are also found in public places and communities, at electrical pylons and Electrical substations, cliffs, beaches, bodies of water, on motorized equipment, such as lawn mowers, and areas closed for construction or demolition.
What does the fire hazard symbol mean?
Flame: The flame symbol means that a substance presents a possible fire hazard. It could be that the substance is just flammable, or it may give off flammable gas. This would also include substances that could ignite on their own when exposed to either water or air, as well as other types of fire-related dangers.
What are the safety symbols in lab?
List of Laboratory Safety Symbols and Their Meanings 1. General Warning 2. Biohazard 3. Flammable Material Hazard 4. Explosive Material Hazard 5. Electrical Hazard 6. High Voltage Hazard 7. Toxic Material Hazard 8. Ionizing Radiation Hazard 9. Non-Ionizing Radiation Hazard 10. Low Temperature Hazard 11. Hot Surface Hazard 12. UV Light hazard
What should you wear in a chemistry lab?
Practice Perspective. The MSU Chemical Hygiene states in section 2.2B: “Confine long hair and loose clothing and always wear footwear which fully covers the feet.”
What are the safety precautions in the chemistry lab?
Safety Precautions Inside the Laboratory Chemicals. Make sure that all chemicals in the laboratory have proper labels. Glassware. Make sure that you have checked glassware compatibility with the chemicals. Gases. The compressed gas cylinder has to be placed on the outside of the laboratory. Electrical Equipment. Never use an electrical cord that is frayed, cracked, or has corroded prong.
What are some safety symbols?
Safety symbols include images, pictograms, shapes, words, phrases, sentences or statements, which are displayed on walls, boards, buildings, doors, entrances, machines, equipment, tools, transports, roads or any other visible area.