What does all state band do?
All State band is the big leagues for young musicians. It’s an incredible opportunity to meet talented musicians from around the state, work with guest conductors, and perform challenging music. When I ask my students what their musical goals are each year, the number one goal is always to make All State band.
How do I join Nyssma?
- Students must be recommended by the director of their high school ensemble (band, chorus, orchestra, jazz ensemble)
- Students must perform an All-State audition at a spring NYSSMA festival.
- For the audition, students must perform a Level 6 piece from the NYSSMA Manual.
How hard is it to make all-state choir in Texas?
It is very difficult to make the All-State choir. Over 15,000 students start the process in August and only about 350 make an All-State choir.
How do you win a band audition?
Tips for a Successful Music Audition
- Get an early start. Study each school’s audition requirements carefully.
- Come prepared. Perform all of your audition pieces as many times as you can before your audition.
- Set yourself up for success on audition day.
- Expect the unexpected.
- Don’t worry if you’re not perfect.
What is an All-State audition?
The highest-ranking musicians judged qualify to perform in one of California All-State Bands, Orchestras, and Choirs. These All-State ensembles rehearse for three days, directed by nationally recognized conductors, and perform on the closing day of the annual CASMEC (California All-State Music Education Conference).
What are the All-State bands?
The All-State bands, choruses, orchestras and jazz ensembles are honors groups comprised of the top students from school music departments across the state.
How do I become a member of the NYSSMA?
Students must be recommended by the director of their high school ensemble (band, chorus, orchestra, jazz ensemble) Students must perform an All-State audition at a spring NYSSMA festival. For the audition, students must perform a Level 6 piece from the NYSSMA Manual.
What is a NYSSMA 1 1 Festival?
1. What is a NYSSMA festival? NYSSMA sponsors approximately 145 solo & small ensemble and major ensemble festivals in New York State each spring. At solo and small ensemble festivals, students are given a performance evaluation that involves playing a graded solo from the NYSSMA Manual, playing scales and sight reading.
What is NYSSMA winter conference?
The 8 groups are directed by renowned guest conductors and perform on one of three concerts in the Eastman (Rochester) Theater during the annual NYSSMA Winter Conference in late November or early December each year. Rehearsals take place in Rochester, NY from Thursday through the Sunday concert during the conference.